View Single Post
Old 08-13-2005, 05:01 AM   #46
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
It seems to me that the last couple of post come back to the same thing, essentially. Bad game design.

For instance, to handle the sociopath aspect of these 'RPI/RPE's' would be to design a game where your hometown, your nation is under attack. And this comes closer to a PVP. But Conflict breeds drama, and adventure.

History. It seems to me mandartory that a RPI/E mud would need a solid history before launching. Or it could even be based around discovering about the history of the world. But how can you roleplay if there is no background to use? Any truly Roleplay Intensive Tabletop game I've been in, had one of two aspects: A 5-10 page setting document, or had a Storyteller who allowed players to add parts to the canon of the world, out of the blue.

In response to Resurrection and Regeneration, it's again boils down to game design. If the game designer wants the game to be more Intensive, then they should either make the game less lethal, or make consequences, as hase been suggested for dying.

The last factor, which seems to be a big one, is that unless you've put in the time you don't really have an effect on the game. And this one of course is hard to overcome. But I imagine that with more advanced code, or a dedicated team of 'level developers' or staff member who lead RP Events, this could be overcome. Otherspace seems to do it well (from what I've heard). The Advanced code stuff of course is difficult code to write, and usually takes a PhD in computer science (Advanced AI and so forth)

Anyhow, that's my take on it.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote