View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Here's my rebuttal - paragraph by paragraph:

Armageddon -is- a RPI, and has proven itself somewhat of an industry standard in that vein. Anything without taking RP into consideration is against the rule, there's no nonsense about it.

Unfortunately there are twinks who show up in EVERY game, and Armageddon is not immune to occasional morons. As for players walking into a room and killing someone without an emote, you can refer to their discussion board to see that OFTEN (not always - see twink note above), there is careful planning on the part of the assassin before-hand, and that assassin might have been standing in the next room, hiding, using the "think" command to strategize - none of which the victim can ever see. That doesn't mean the assassin isn't roleplaying. It simply means the victim can't see what has gone into the assassination other than the initial attack.

Well that's kinda a no-brainer. If you've ever read the GDB (and you seem to be making it infinitely clear that you do) you would realize that the staff HATES getting PMs. The more PMs they get, the less time they have to dedicate themselves to e-mail, which is how they expect to be contacted when there is a need.

As for account notes - those are -one- of the exception, which falls under the category "usually" in the "are usually answered within 48 hours." First, they have to find your account. Then they have to check it for things that are inappropriate to send you (such as the account name of the guy you killed last tuesday - that might show up in your account notes too). Then if there is any question on any of the notes, they have to confer with the IMM who wrote it - which could take some time, if that IMM happens to be on vacation that week, or if it's a retired IMM..etc. etc. etc.

I also -highly- doubt that any of the staff members would respond with the exact verbiage you chose to quote - in particular the blaring typo "ont he GDB." In essence, I just plain don't believe you on that point and figure you probably exaggerated to extract a measure of pity from your readers.

The mechanics of the MUD are a VAST improvement from the DIKU upon which it is based. Most of what you think is lag, is an intentional movement delay. The official documents explain that..but you knew that, since you've read the official documents - right?

There was a very marked lag that occurred for the better part of the last two weeks, but apparently it was some kind of glitch and has subsequently been fixed. Prior to that, there was no lag at all - and since then, the lag is negligible when it does occur, which is rare.

20-30 players online usually around lunchtime, EST. At night, EST, it's usually around 60, give or take half a dozen. It's irrelevent though, because the supposed "lag" has nothing to do with how many people are playing it. Most is the coded intentional movement delay, and the rest was the glitch mentioned previously, which has been fixed.

Characters -can't- be reimbursed. Once your character dies, the character file is deleted. It no longer exists in the database. There is no way to restore that which no longer exists. Sorry - them's the breaks.

The shop system is a mess - and many people, rather than bitch about it, have offered suggestions. It looks like the staff is actually doing something about it, which means that <gasp> they take player suggestions seriously.

Not all NPCs are buggy, and in fact the soldiers aren't "buggy" at all. It's a flaw in the code - not a bug. And it is being addressed, and is yet again another of those things that is being addressed as a result of player input.

Game shuts down for a day so that the staff can implement new things, fix bugs, discuss issues, etc. etc. etc. without any distraction from players. God forbid you are FORCED to get off your arse and take a walk or read a book or <gawk> Talk to someone up close and personal...gimme a freaking break.

You mean - there is nothing HANDED TO YOU to do. Heavens forfend you should make up your own quests.. and I beg to differ regarding monsters you can solo kill. They exist. I've killed a few. Within my first day of playing a new character. Not that killing monsters is such a big deal - why would you want to spend all day killing mobs when there is so much MORE to do? Most of my characters weren't even combat-oriented and never killed a single mob, and I -rarely- was bored. Boredom occurs in all things, just like in real life. Oh well..sucks to be you I guess, if you can't handle an hour of sitting idle or - ooooohhhh...logging off and taking that walk, or reading that book, or talking to a real live person.

Again - this has more to do with people not wanting to HAND YOU THINGS. Most of the information people ask about are in the documentation on the website. Most of the things that are -not- on the documentation, are missing for a reason: certain things are designed to be discovered IN the game, with your character. Kinda like, oh, maybe..those quests you claim don't exist?

Ah - so because the staff doesn't want to be your personal babysitter, they're corrupt. And because they want to give us the best they can possible deliver, without interruption, for just over 12 hours per week, this is a bad thing. And because the game is structured such that you don't HAVE to rely on the code to come up with something to do, it's a badly put together mud.

Groovy. And good riddance to ya. Hope you find what you're looking for somewhere else.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote