View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #382
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough
Question Re: What does "Free" Mean?

Random semi-tangential thing: an idea I've been kicking around is allowing people to bid on feature/content completions in a development ticket system.

Let's say that Joe is looking forward to the Princes of Amber affiliation so much that he's willing to commit to giving me $5 when it's done, thereby encouraging me to finish it. (If Joe makes this commitment and doesn't follow through, well, then I know what his word is worth next time.) This is clearly a species of pay-for-perks under the four-option system, but I think it's a rather interesting one, and I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts on it.

What I like most about it is that it (normally) incentivizes doing things that benefit the entire MUD or populations within it, rather than solely a particular player. That's diluted somewhat if the ticket system allows user feature requests and people enter requests that disadvantage others ("make raise dead kill lich PCs instantly" e.g.), but you can always close the ticket on a "Denied" status.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote