View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #76
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Veterans of Roleplay Intensive MUDs

Of all the games we're discusisng, I believe that NWA is the newest one. In addition, I think you did a "relaunch" recently or perhaps you came out of Beta. Some of these games have been running for over a decade. The playerbase grew up with many of these games and new demands came of their time. On our game alone, we've got people who have disappeared because they got married, had kids (most common), or have gone through a lot of personal tragedy. I think real life gets in the way for older games more than we know a lot of times. I recently talked to a player who came back after being gone for nearly five years. She left to raise her son who is now old enough not to need so much hands-on attention anymore.

Just last year, we found out that one of our players who had not been logging on had been killed in the war. Threshold alone has suffered the loss of several players to death. When you've been around long enough, you lose dedicated players in the oddest, and sometimes worst, ways.

Perhaps games are loser their players to crappy game design or administrative changes. I don't know. I just think the pressures of "growing up" can cause players to be less patient with a game.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote