View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #29
Maraz

Maraz is on a distinguished road
I agree with what others have said that it is possible to act more intelligent than you are. However there are limits to it, and it is difficult. Someone may think you are intelligent from a single conversation, but if they get to know you well it's going to be much harder to convince them.

Also to act intelligent you do need to be at least reasonably intelligent in real life, but I think to roleplay anything well you need to be reasonably intelligent in real life.

The way I would act an intelligent character is as mentioned above, taking the slow and deliberating aproach. Another thing I would do is try and show my character as knowing a lot (especially about academic related subjects). This isn't too hard, just use google to find a few web pages about whatever topic you need to pretend to be clever at.

Perhaps the hardest thing about appearing intelligent (or rather knowlegable) is when faced with someone who really does know about it. Say for example I am pretending to be an expert in medicine, I do a bit of research (which I think is important for any roleplay), to the average person I appear to know about medicine, and if there is something I don't know I can always make it up. However if someone is a doctor they're going to be able to tell I'm not an expert. This is a problem I can't really see a way around.

Personally my main character is a mercenary fighter, he is illiterate and has never had any kind of education. He isn't intelligent, but he isn't totally brainless, he is smart in some respects. He is a pretty good public speaker and a decent leader. Sometimes roleplaying a character who isn't very intelligent is actually not that easy. It is quite difficult not to roleplay him a sterotyped fool, and at the same time show that he isn't all that smart.

Roleplaying something you are not can be hard, and with intelligence it is especially hard. A sign of a good roleplayer is someone who can create a character who is convincing. Research can help with this, and roleplaying something you know about can be easier, but in my opinion a truely great roleplayer can be anything.

Maraz
Maraz is offline   Reply With Quote