View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Anasadi

Anasadi is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is rape acceptable in some MUDs?

How easily you draw that line.

Having been an immortal on a MUD or two, I'd been given the ability to clothe myself in the skin and bones of any NPC I chose, temporarily giving the NPC some very PC abilities, e.g. the ability to act autonomously. I often smiled when the normally non-aggressive mobile I wore surprised a PC with a fireball (or sword, or fist) first to the face...

In my mind, whether you're fragging a goblin infant or you're fragging your best friend's avatar named Kodan the Unbearable, you, the person typing into the screen, are pulling the necessary triggers and doing the necessary fragging. You can say beheading an elven princess ain't a thing 'cause she's an electronic figment of some coder's imagination, but you're still getting a thrill, small as it may be, out of seeing how far her head rolls.

You're physically reacting to the violent death of a fictional construct.

And... you're okay with that.

You're not the least bit squeamish about stealing from or maiming or killing a character, PC or not, but you're white with rage at the thought of a fictional, consensual rape scene (which I presume you're not involved in.)

Help me understand that.
Anasadi is offline   Reply With Quote