View Single Post
Old 02-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #19
Anasadi

Anasadi is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is rape acceptable in some MUDs?

DonathinFrye wrote -

I'm unsure whether a majority of people are more sensitive to rape than to other forms of violence, but I can agree Americans are largely desensitized to violence. I've neither inferred nor said rape and violence are the same; I would say rape is a form of violence, which in itself can take many forms, including rape.

My intent in discussing other forms of violence was to put the act of rape in the greater context of violence. The original poster, dark acacia, wrote -

She/he took issue with this attitude on the part of consenting adults on a permissive game by then asking

I can't really answer 'who' anymore than the original poster (else, why would the poster ask the question?*) In fact, there are many violent scenarios (many many violent scenarios) for which I cannot give a satisfactory 'who.' But it seems to me there are many 'who's in many kinds of violent situations, rape included, all of which seem to point to one thing - people are a rather f*cked up lot.

And that, of course, we all seem to have our violence fetishes (dark acacia's might not be rape, but she/he isn't at all squeamish about murder or PC looting. I infer that from their lack of response.)

* Of course, the poster could have been asking this question rhetorically in order to clutch her/his bible and scold people who might want to act out a rape scene. I opted to believe they wanted to actually discuss the question. I stopped responding when it became increasingly clear browbeating was the poster's intent.
Anasadi is offline   Reply With Quote