Thread: True World
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
I agree that RP is best in a realistic world, that is why the premier RP games in the world avoid coding much of anything. They are called MUSH.

The problem is that you can only code a finite amount, even with a team that is constantly working. To produce a full simulation of the real world in any significant sense would take hundreds of people 20 years to accomplish. Code is finite, reality is infinite, so somewhat compromises have to be made.

Since everything is conected, each little compromise can lead to all sorts of non-realistic wierdness. This is such a massive subject that frankly it is beyond a lot of people including game designers.

The obvious solution is to remove all the coded bits of reality and replace it with cooperative storytelling by all the participants. In truth you do not even need a MUSH, just a good full featured Chat Room will do. But this style of game is totally different from what the average non-RP MU* is all about.

Your Book idea is interesting, but a book is a one way road. What I mean is that events follow a path and one ending results. What you would need is a multipath story so that victory in combat can lead one way, and loss leads another. Authors can write such things of course, if they know that is what they are supposed to do.

I am a big supporter of a realistic approach to game design when RP is involved, so in general I am with you on wanting that to be a focus when possible. But there is one statement you made that I just have to question a bit:

"Why force people to navigate slowly if, with the option to teleport or some such thing, they can achieve their goals much faster?"

Because to me that is the kind of thinking that causes problems. Unless you are more advanced than I, you cannot teleport anywhere in the real world. Distance, time to travel, and terrain are very significant in human history. Wars are fought over territory, distance creates cultural differences, trade is defined by the means used in transport.

Consider human history for a moment, and then give people the ability to teleport. How much would change?

I am just pointing this out because I believe that a realistic basis in the world makes for good RP play. People should be free to choose any actions that make logical sense in the setting. They have to be able to understand the possible outcomes of their actions and can only do that in a world that makes sense to them.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote