View Single Post
Old 06-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #5
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

You are certainly free to do so, but that's not the point of this thread now, is it?

You should understand that an objective categorization system can be created. The above quote about "stale, boring, hackneyed themes" is completely subjective. How can a mud-owner wriggle out of facts such as "accepts donations" , "accepts donations for in-game benefits", "free trial period, requires fee to continue playing", etc? If the listing is incorrect then by all means, it should be changed. But this change is (or should be) based on facts and not subjectivity, and that's where your objections fall to pieces.

What systems? As far as I know, people merely tend to differentiate between "free-to-play" and "pay-to-play", which herald a great deal of problems with the definition of pay-to-play. These definitions can be fine-tuned to drill out the ambiguity.

People lieing in their listings is nothing new. Look at all of the mud connector listings that show custom muds that are really derivatives. Since there's a widely-accepted definition for the term "custom mud", however, debates rarely rage more than a few posts nowadays.

I think this is a good idea. Were I to come up with a system off the top of my head, I would include the following levels:
<ul>[*] No money changes hands at any level.[*] Donations are accepted, but have no in-game benefits.[*] Money is exchanged for of out-of-game merchandise.[*] Money is exchanged for in-game knowledge (maps, formulas, lists, etc.)[*] Money is exchanged for direct in-game benefits.[*] Subjectivity Alert: Money is exchanged for in-game benefits that allows one to play competetively. This is the only subjective rule that I believe could cause a lot of debate, so unless anyone has any good ideas for how to measure this, I wouldn't recommend keeping it.[*] Fee is required to play once character reaches a certain level or point in the game (optional: recurring fees for other areas).[*] Fee is required to play (optional: free trial period) in periodic intervals.[/list]I think that a few of these attributes are not mutually exclusive. For example, requiring a periodic fee as well as allowing a player to buy in-game benefits or knowledge might go hand-in-hand with some businesses.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote