Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #19
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Most MUDs have some kind of verb, act, or emote system that would allow for players to defecate if they desired to. Since defecation is a far, far, far less common on-MUD practice than combat, it would seem that MUD Designers have made the conscious or co-incidental decision that rarer actions of gameplay(like defecation) do not needed added game mechanics, where something as fundamental to the play of nearly every MUD(like combat) tends to be something most designers think important enough to include in design to help create an "immersive environment".

I've talked to MUD Designers who do not have supported combat in their games. To me, they seem like pacifistic, heavy roleplayers, who understand little about World Design from a gameplay standpoint. To this end, many of those MUDs become little more than glorified "AOL FFGF: Red Dragon Inn" chatrooms using a telnet server, which is certainly their choice. I happen to love the RDI(moreso the forum aspect of it, these days) - however, I definitely would not go as far as to say that it is more immersive of an environment than a well-designed MUD.

My cents.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote