View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: www.mudportal.com

Maybe there are games out there that support pagination only based on NAWS-reported screen height (and not the Diku pageset command e. g.). The problem is that from what I've read, I would also have to report the "screen" width, and given how dynamic that can be in the client, it's just not worth the headache.

I understand perfectly what you're saying, but since I can't reliably (or easily) guess how many characters a player's text window currently fits horizontally, I'd rather go with the server default in this scenario. Line breaks at 80 characters are not bad-looking, and may leave some room on the side for the player to position other useful stuff. It would be worse if I report width of 300 characters, but the actual limit on the player's screen is 290... Not to mention that allowing variable-width fonts makes guessing the right width in characters pure voodoo material.

At the end of the day, I feel that if a game server is relying solely on NAWS, then it's probably more interested in the game being playable in telnet terminals than on the web. Otherwise, they can easily add a few flags on their end to make all text look good in a dynamic window.

No need. I tested it and it works. Now the ball is in other people's courts.

Thanks, I missed that. All font attributes are supported now: face, color, back, size, in any order.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote