View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #23
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

You don't understand. That is fun to some people. I can remember many days of my youth spent with graph paper mapping out dungeons in my favorite crawlers so I could find out where the secrets, enemies, deathtraps and everything was. Similarly, figuring out what makes these games tick is a great joy to some people, myself included, not just power gamers. Actually using what you've learned to form viable, off-the-wall strategies is quite rewarding and reason enough for me to give players all formulas used in my game.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and quite a few people in that thread are jackasses for thinking their definition of fun applies to everyone else.

No, your figuring out the formulas is not what makes the game repetitive. It's either that the master troll will always do the same thing under the same circumstances, or that there are no other variables to make combat interesting that skewer your play. To extend the chess analogy to which you replied, of course chess is going to be boring if you take only a single part of it and base your decisions around that one part: While the actual slaying of the bishop isn't particularly enjoyable, this slaying in relation to the overall strategy is what makes the game fun. Of course if you're playing a mud called "Troll Hunter 2004" and slaying trolls is predictable and repetitive, then I think the designers have quite a problem on their hands.
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote