Thread: You
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 08:45 PM   #23
kaylus1

Cool

I will have to halfway agree with this. Yes, if the person is blind they should not be able to see. In the end though the room is a description of the surroundings and should be left up to the player to decide how their character reacts to it's environment.. within reason.

If a PC is blind then by all means, drop a -- You cannot see. -- message upon them, but -- again all this is personal opinion -- it should be left up to the player to decide if their character trembles in fear from not being able to see. Likewise, I think the player should decide if something in their they see fills their character with lust, sadness, madness, rage unless it is a certainty (as in dynamic descriptions that check).

On the room descriptions, as I said it's all personal opinion. I prefer not having 'you' in my descriptions because it tends to relax my descriptions and I tend to make more mistakes with it then without it. I have seen beautiful descriptions with the word 'you' in them as well.

No not everything that is not supported by code is a bad thing, but everything that I don't like is, on my mud, a bad thing and I reserve that right =) Muahaha. I think Kavir is basically right in his main point that it is not the 'you' but the incorrect information. Although disallowing it to keep a better room description standard is a good thing in my book, as is disallowing it to keep users from writing stupid player descriptions (which for the most part will be static unless you have a dynamic player-desc system with tokens for replacing emotions in other characters, but I have YET to see that... hmmmmmm).