Thread: You
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2003, 07:20 PM   #21
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
That's all very nice Orion, but it still doesn't prove your "I am the world" line of reasoning; My mud doesn't support feature X, therefore anything which requires feature X is a "bad thing"?

As I've said already, the problem is not with using "you", or with telling people how they feel - the problem is with sending potentially inaccurate information. Obviously the more limited your mud, the more limited the information you'll be able to send - but the fact that mud X doesn't implement hunger doesn't mean that sending "you are hungry" messages to the players is always a "bad thing". And the same applies to any other form of feedback.

No, it shouldn't, because the player isn't the person standing in the room - the character is. The player perceives the world through the senses of their character. If the character is blind, the player should not be able to see. If the character is short, they should find themselves looking up at taller people. If the character is cowardly, they should find themselves feeling afraid.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote