View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #64
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
Re: Things that make you NOT play a MUD

I'm pretty easygoing for the most part and will try nearly any game regardless of a few pet peeves, since no game is perfect. I think the only times I've left very quickly without giving the game further testing is with poor staff interactions. Here's a few examples:

One game had a long newbie intro that I finally got through, only to be told that my character's name was out of genre by an invisi-staff (this was a fantasy game, the name was Crysiant, which is an ancient welsh name. Can't see the conflict.) I looked in the game policy to find out how to question the procedure, and was confronted with the policy of "You can't ever ask staff about anything, ever, there is no system or place or method by which you can even ask them about bugs." Can you say arbitrary and unchecked power? Byeeeee.

Another game looked very promising until I logged in for the first time. A character started whispering obscene things to me, and I responded with "Why are you doing this?" (having no idea how to use the communication alternatives yet), and the staff member present told me I was disruptive and banned me even though I explained that the person was harrassing me and I couldn't respond to them. I've never even TRIED to go back there.

In another game I sat in the newbie area (which was encouraged, to get used to things before the food and drink needs kicked in) and listened to a lot of OOC folks chatting. A staff member of the game sat there and TOLD me all the problems of the game. Now I understand that people can get bitter, staff and players, and that everyone has peeves about their game, but to sit there and tell newbies this in a casual fashion is just wild. Turned me right off.

When I look back at all the games I've tried, these are the only kinds of things that have made me leave immediately, though I have to admit I do not even try games that say they don't at least heavily encourage roleplay so I count those out.
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote