View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #21
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion
Re: Developing from scratch

Like many others, it appears, I've been working on my own game for quite some time, and I'm challenged by having to write from scratch.

There are two main reasons I'm going with scratch:

1. No MUD codebase that I've found thus far has an agreeable license; too many good licenses even make donation for the sake of upkeep illegal, and I would like to have the OPTION of accepting donations, merchandising, or investing into a related business without having the entire community come down on my head for it.

(( As for the Open Source link that was posted, very few of the games listed there linked to a working page or download link; with no contact, there's no way of tracking those codebases down, thus making listing them rather moot. ))

2. No MUD codebase really offers what I'm looking for in terms of features. I'm not looking for stock, but I'd gladly rip out world content if that was my only barrier. A few games do offer -some- of the mechanical feature sets that I'm looking for, but are done so in a complicated manner or in a way that would make adding other features a headache. We have a truckload of codebases and MOST of them work almost precisely the same (or so it would seem).
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote