View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #20
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Re: Why is rape acceptable in some MUDs?

In a game where death is permanent, the victim may reluctantly accept the rape of their PC as an alternative to the permanent loss of a character into which they've put a lot of time and development. This is where your "consenting adults" comes in. Does the attacker offer the victim a third option in these games, where the victim can have their PC be neither raped nor permanently killed? If the victim's player does not consent to their PC being raped, does that mean that the attacker gets to kill the PC? Clearly, if the victim's PC is in a situation where rape is inevitable, then the PC is in a situation where the attacker could just as easily go with permanent death.

I resent your shoehorning of real world religion into this topic. I do not discuss real world religion in games or forums or anywhere in mixed company. No religion has a monopoly on being anti-rape, and plenty of non-religious people are also anti-rape. You'll note that from the beginning I separated the MUDs that exist specifically for acting out sexual fantasies from games where people may not necessarily play for sexual encounters. I'm not here to be a scold (and there's plenty of people in real life who WILL scold rapists and any victim-blamers), so if you think I'm trying to brow-beat you into agreeing with me, then it's probably because you didn't anticipate that others think you're wrong on this subject.

I also resent the use of the "her/his" construct. No one's being oppressed by "his/her."
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote