View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #35
jackal59mo2

jackal59mo2 is on a distinguished road
Re: What are the differences between a MUD and a MUSH?

I can mainly tell I'm on a MOO when I get very, very confused about the commands. Those puppies can be strange.

Honestly, though, there are subjective differences in "tone color" between games built on different code bases. MOOs seem to use "radio" objects of some kind for channels; in fact, the MOOs I've been on have far more, and usually far more varied, objects that any MUSH or MUX, and sometimes more than a MUD variant. However, since all of the MOOs I've experienced have been set either in the present day or in some sort of technological future, that may be a function of genre rather than of what the code does better.

MOOs honestly fascinate me more for what their "code" seems able to do than any other games I've seen. I really regret that I wasn't around for BellonaMOO, given how much I love that book (Samuel Delany's Dhalgren) and how much it seems possible to do with the code base. I'd bet that creating and maintaining such a place as that (or such as HellMOO, to use a current example) has to be a huge time suck, though.
jackal59mo2 is offline   Reply With Quote