View Single Post
Old 05-19-2002, 12:00 PM   #6
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
Hi Flaconer, glad to see you found your way here...

I've been mulling this concept over for years, and will eventually implement it into the game for which i work. At the risk of being repetitive, I'll address the entire concept:

o Question-based creation, following a template. Initial questions, such as race [region], sex, etc will determine the starting template to be used. Each time a question is answered, the algorithm will recalculate the using template to determine which direction to go next. Ideally, this would randomize the situation to the point that it is unpredictable. Choices at one level will open or close questions at later points.

o Living-history concept - much as KaVir mentioned, and as was further expounded upon on Mudconnector, the concept of advancing a character after initial creation. A sort of choose your own adventure within the creation system itself, from which the prospective player can break at any time. At each question, the character could be given his current age or situation, as well as the projected change. Example:

Current age: 17. You have the opportunity to apprentice yourself to a blacksmith. Full term apprenticeship will take 4 years before you have freedom. Do you (1) Refuse, (2) Follow it through in its entirety, or (3) Break off after a period of learning, running away?

Option 3 would pick a time between 0 and 4 years at which the person runs away. Option 2 most likely would eat 4 years of the characters time, and make them a blacksmith journeyman. However, it possibly could break into option (3) for other reasons, such as running away due to abuse, the blacksmith being killed, etc.

o At times during the creation process, significant events could be chosen based off a timeline from the game. For example, you create a character who will ultimately be 40 within the game. Moving backward, we see that the battle of Beerkeg Mountain occured when you were 30, and you are given the option of having been in that battle. Perhaps even you died there, at which point you must once more begin creation.

Basically, the idea would be to allow one to fall into the storyline with many major aspects already resolved, but with others beyond the players choosing.

Also, as I menitoned to Falconer before - there will be archetype's which are chooseable during creation. Archetype's are character requests generated by other players, such as someone to play the father of a current player, which will have major points of question answered already, but other facets fillable within the creation system.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote