View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Creating Game History

It's a fictional setting, but I deliberately tied in a mixture of different real-world mythology (primarily Greek and Norse, but there are others too) to imply links with prehistory earth.

I didn't write it up in advance (other than some basic notes), but instead created it a bit at a time as new content was added. Each new quest added a little history, and I tried to connect them together when possible. There's no "complete history" that people can read, but as they explore the content they gradually learn more about the world.

The latter - if anything, the history is more of an accidental by-product of needing flavour text for quests.

The latter - the history has taken shape as a direct result of new content being added.

The history is primarily based on religions, due to the theme of the mud.

Note that my mud is explicitly non-RP, so the history isn't as fleshed out as one would expect from an RP-focused mud, nor was there an urgent need to create the history in advance. But IMO all muds can benefit from an internally consistent theme and some background flavour.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote