View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 03:40 AM   #11
Xanthian

Xanthian is on a distinguished road
Well, I haven't so far read anything here that hasn't been attempted by the game I'm playing...

It's currently undergoing overhauls to get it all finished, but all of what I've heard so far will be addressed somewhat when it does...

So you're looking for a medium between the hack&slash and the skill-only platform? Why not have both... Hercules & Xena: Alliance of Heroes (really, don't diss it just cuz of the name) has had a combat-only system running for a number of years now, but after everything gets completed and the dust settles (which will probably be some time this year still), there's going to be a secondary, completely skill-based crafting system introduced. You want to get good at killing things? Go kill things. You want to get good at basket weaving? Go weave baskets. Seems a lot more accurate as a representation of real life.

Currently (even though the guy heading them hasn't been allowed to go nuts yet) the critters do gang up on people, pick each other up, double team, and actually do think (if they're badly injured, weaker than you and can move, you'll see just how quick something can run). They have alignments (good, neutral, bad) and all varieties can be attacked (that is, once he's allowed to introduce the good-aligned critters). Of course, the good-guys don't attack you unless you throw the first punch, and the baddies would be the best paid since crime pays, but it will be possible to decide your alignment by what you attack.

The combat system is going to be simultaneously re-repaired and guilds introduced (though strictly RP-based) and the currently mandatory profession system crushed into ashes. You wanna be a battle mage, a ranger, go train in the right skills, forget about some official name. Nobody was born to be a rogue.

So there will be *both* killing mobs and a strictly skill-training based system. Should interest both those that love, and love to hate, killing mobs.

They already have a number of events where a GM comes down (often in disguise) and has an on-going week-or-more-long storyline, where players can solve some parts regardless of when they're around.

One last thing... I'm not trying to inappropriately advertise the game I play, I just read all the posts under this category and didn't really hear an issue that wasn't being addressed by the staff. Sure, our critters won't be capable of independent speech, but then again, who's ever had an in-depth conversation with a machine? People invented a language so why not use it with other people?
Xanthian is offline   Reply With Quote