View Single Post
Old 11-08-2002, 09:48 AM   #1
jornel

jornel is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone,

I was reading the discussion thread about RPXP, and was struck by how such 'rp' systems construct a set of combat stats that seem to be every bit as contrived and as mechanical as the regular vanilla combat stats which we all are familiar.  But pray tell, which element of inter-character 'roleplay' do these manufactured stats apply to?

One might be tempted to think of them as PK shortcuts for manipulator twinks... 'My character can kill your character, and I didn't have to kill zillions of mobs gaining levels to do so.'

This immediately raises two questions in my mind:

1) What does THIS have to do with RP?  (rhetorical)

2) What's so wrong about killing mobs? (which is the topic of this post)

The basic motif in every Tolkienesque story is to assemble an assortment of colorful individuals from a variety of backgrounds, allow them (or coerce them) to form a group that must go out into The World (always for some worthy or noble purpose) and to have as many hair-raising, narrow escapes as possible.  And all throughout these frequent encounters with Fierce Nasty Beasties, each character experiences a kind of mytsical inner growth, which helps them to overcome whatever internal personal demons they struggle against (shyness, meekness, unworthiness).

The formula ain't broke, folks.

I personally fail to see how players standing around town square chatting and emoting up a storm (no matter how melodramatically they do it) qualifies as RP. Or why this should be worthy of experience while at the same time combat against mobs is pooh-poohed as mere 'hack and slash'.

It is true that some muds out there suffer from lack of imagination (Oh look, another zombie!  Think we'll have to kill this one like we did its 9999 brethren before?  Or should we try to make friends this time?)

What I'd like to do on this thread is to look for better ways to use mob combat to enrich the rp experience, rather than to detract from it.  It naturally implies that we'll have to build better mobs, but that's a topic for another forum.

I'm specifically interested in hearing about people's actual rp encounters with memorable mobs, whether friend or foe.  Failing any actual good experiences, I'd ask for your suggestions as to the types of encounters you'd like to see in a game.

- Jornel

(Looking to restore respect to the title 'Goblinslayer')
jornel is offline   Reply With Quote