Thread: A Narnia Mud
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
By 'uneasy concepts', I assume that people mean the Christian aspect of Lewis' writing. I didn't notice it when I read the books (and was enthralled with them) at age 10- and to be true, I don't really notice it now. Yes, Lewis was a Catholic (introduced into the faith by Tolkien, one of his colleagues at Oxford, incidentally). He wrote a lot of stories, some sci-fi and some fantasy, some about the Catholic faith and how he related to it. As far as a Narnia MUD goes- why not? It's the basic principle- as someone else said- that good triumphs over evil. Seems to me a perfectly acceptable premise for a mud. The film didn't focus on the Christian element- so why would a MUD have to? I enjoyed the stories very much- when I was 10. My big question would be 'How would you craft a MUD of Narnia that was aimed for players of all ages?'. He's created a world that is not, perhaps, as in-depth as a MUD world should be- and therein, I think, is the main issue.

Good/Evil, Man/Beast, War/Peace are universal concepts. If you wanted a MUD specifically about Narnia, you might have to work on the background of the world a bit. Otherwise, I don't see why such a game couldn't thrive.
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote