View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #27
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Future MUD directions

Babelfish translation isn't that good. In many cases the translations aren't useful but only give you an idea what a text is about. However I think supporting additional charsets is very important for communication within the game. Just because room descriptions might be in English doesn't mean the players wouldn't prefer to communicate with friends using another language.

While it is true that MUDs can improve your English it isn't something that makes people want to play them. People want to be entertained and enjoy whatever game they play. There are many games to chose from. Many graphical games have very high quality and are fun. A text game would need to be very well made to "compete".

I don't know how to make MUDs more popular. However I think there are things that could be improved:
In the end I think MUDs shouldn't be seen only as text games but also include the graphical MUDs. They should probably have their place on the mud lists as well. I don't say that the text games have lost the war(was there ever one? ), but I think it is about time everyone start to cooperate. Text, graphics, sound - does it really matter that much? It is all different ways to express the same genre we enjoy to work on: MUDs.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote