View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Re: PK restricted or unrestricted?

I think you should look for what the MAIN object of the game is, and what type of players you'd want to attract. In a Mud like GodWars, where advanced combat and PvP is the main focus, and I assume all players are PK, after they pass he learning stage, I think you should check 'full PK', even if you grant them a learning period, and some 'safe' spots to recuperate between battles. Otherwise you might lose some potentially good Pkillers, who regard restricted PK as 'sissy'.

(I actually doubt that any serious PK Mud would allow their players to kill newbies the second they logged into the game, it's too obviously open to abuse. Twink Muds, yes, serious Muds, no).

At least that's how I'd interpret 'full PK' myself.

'Restricted PK' to me would be where you can only kill within a certain level range, only in certain PK zones or in the Arena, only during Clan Wars, or where you can kill, but not loot other players.

In 4D, where the main focus of the game is questing and exploring, we have another type of restricted PK, where you can choose if you want to become PK or not. Pkillers get a PK flag, and can only kill and loot other players with that flag. I admit that this is a bit of a funny system RP-wise, but at least we can justify it with the explanation that the Time Travel Agency sells journeys where you can choose to travel as a 'combatant' or an 'observer'. Anyhow, we are not RP enforced, so that makes it easier to defend.

I believe the labeling would be a bit harder for a RP enforced Mud. If you are only allowed to kill IC, does that make it full PK or restricted PK? Spontaneously I'd say full PK, provided everyone could attack and kill everybody else theoretically. If there is some sort of Justice or Bounty system, where murderers get hunted and punished, like there seems to be in Valg's Mud, this makes things more IC, but not necessarily restricted PK. But I admit it's a tricky choice.

Anyhow, with so many different options within the system, maybe it would be nice to add a small drop down textbox, where the mudowners could explain their system a bit better, as suggested for the Payment options?
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote