View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: PK restricted or unrestricted?

I think, from looking at it, given your example you'd check the involuntary one and list the restrictions (if any) as specified. Voluntary PK means you have to give permission, either through typing a command, actively joining an organisation, or signing on the dotted line, for other people to be able to kill you. Involuntary is as you said, anyone can attack anyone else without that persons permission.

As examples I'll give my old MUD Abandoned Realms, which has involuntary PK because you can attack someone without their consent, but restrictions because you can't attack new players or people outside a certain range (in an attempt to make things fair). I believe numerous MUDs use a similar system. They would check the involuntary box and fill in the restrictions in the text box.

Another MUD I played whose name escapes me required you to be a member of a guild before any PK could take place, and this was made clear numerous times before you were allowed to join one. In this case they would tick the voluntary box, as it's physically impossible to attack someone without their permission (which they give by joining a guild).

I think that three box solution with a text field is a very good idea personally. It should make things nice and clear.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote