Thread: One Man Job?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #11
Gromble

Gromble is on a distinguished road
I'm about to start year four in the development of a "from scratch" server (which I do as a hobby), and I'm still adding infrastructure.

I'll echo what others have said, that it takes a tremendous committment and your enthusiasm will wax and wane over the course of the project.  I did a burst of work this past weekend after several months of inactivity, and the satisfying results have motivated me to do more this weekend.

Maybe the question to ask is how soon do you want to have something to go public with?  In my case, I have no deadline I'm trying to meet so I have no reason to add more people and distribute the workload.

-Gromble

BTW, I love hearing about nifty innovations other developers have come up with in their own servers so please share them.  For my own server, some examples (which are not original) are...

- A parser stack that allows me to push and pop parsers depending on what the user is doing.
- Instanced quest zones, where every party gets their own copy to play in without interference from other parties.
- All content is stored and retrieved in XML format, and validated via schemas (Apache Xerces).
- Command permission groups rather than a level based command hierarchy.
- Event driven scripting (Lua).
Gromble is offline   Reply With Quote