View Single Post
Old 07-21-2002, 02:46 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
You're not playing the right game then, if it's an actual concern to you.

There are many games that don't require characters to hunt in ordered to advance. Some of them have no "levels" that you need advancement for in the first place. Some don't even have specific skills you have to train in. Those would be the "pure" RP muds, where everything is acted out.

There are hybrids, such as the one I play, in which "defending your town against the viscious monsters that infest it" is only ONE option of many. Crafting is also a viable option for advancement, where you can learn to weave clothes and spin yarn on a loom, or carve, forge, or cast jewelry, or cut gems to increase value, or be a thief, or combine various skills to create your own "profession."

In the game I play, one of my characters hunts to advance. She considers it her obligation to the darklands to help protect her fellow citizens by destroying the creatures that threaten them. My OTHER character, however, makes leather armor. He makes bows as well, but he prefers to create things to defend, rather than things to destroy, and so he prefers to make armor. This is how he advances in "levels" and this is what he trains in. He is capable of hunting very low tiers with his one and only learned sorcery spell, but he generally prefers to stay in the tannery all day and chat with his friends at the local tavern.

So again, your complaint certainly doesn't apply to all games. It applies only to games that require characters to hunt in ordered to advance. And while those seem to be in the majority, they are definitely not the only types of games out there.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote