View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #364
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

To play devils advocate (though I don't agree with this) you could argue that it does, as it's something in-game someone managed to get that someone else can't via the in-game mechanics. For those players who have to have/collect everything in a game, it may seem unfair that they can't get that title without paying money.

Personally I'd be ok with the 5-option system. Yes, it can be gamed, it can be outright lied about, but at the end of the day so can everything. We can at least hope that a player who tries out one of these MUDs that has gamed/lied in their description will report it on here so we can investigate if they're breaking the spirit of the rules. Whilst people disagree with trying to apply to the spirit of rules or law and say only the precise, technical sense matters (haven't some of these types been pushing to get stuff written into the Constitution of the United States that a lot of other people think is completely against the original intent of the Founding Fathers, even if they didn't explicitly mention it?) I'm a firm believer that taking advantage of something just because there isn't a clear-cut rule against it is a Bad Thing. Sometimes common sense has to come into your decisions. The only things that need rules explicitly laid out to function are computers.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote