View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #376
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

(This post is strictly for those MUD Administrators who are for or against the 4 box system.)

I think I now have a clear understanding why people want this system and why commercial games are against it. I asked my question about which box you would check to verify my thoughts on this and here is my conclusion: Those that want this system dislike any game that would check box b. This is very clear in the last posts and I suspected this from many of the posts earlier. Conversely, I believe the commercial games that would check boxes A and B feel that they are being put in a bad light. I'm sympathetic to this the same way I would be if the commercial games wanted non-commercial games to be forced to check one of these two boxes:

a. [ ] This is a professional, commercial game.
b. [ ] This is a non-professional, non-commercial game.

While checking box b for a non-commercial game is accurate, is it fair? Does it put the non-commercial game in a bad light? You could argue semantics and you would be right, and that is exactly why the commercial games resist box b.

Many of you probably came to this conclusion awhile ago and the arguments in this thread give credence to my supposition. I think in light of this we should perhaps not go forward with such a system without at least considering what I have stated here. I for one would not like the above examples of box a and b shoved down my throat as a non-commercial game, likewise I do not feel it fair to force the commercial games to accept what would put my game in a better light and force them into a poor light.

This is only my opinion and can be denounced or trounced as you see fit.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote