Thread: Wilderness
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2003, 10:27 PM   #6
Tavish

Tavish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Tavish
Unfortunately, although my description and wilderness generator that we talked about during our discussion do very well for what it was designed to do, that being the basic overland type design that added depth between the hand-built areas, I am still struggling with the same questions I had then.  KaVir basically touched upon them in his post, sorry if I take anything out of context, but it hits very close to the mark of my debate.

It seems with a scale this large that distances between the hand-built areas would be so great that players would only visit a small sampling of the in a lifetime, or that you would need so many areas to fill in the wilderness that it would be a very significant drain on your resources.  Are you relying very heavily upon mob villages or other code-generated mini-areas?

If the wilderness is unique enough that the players can explore and adventure through it much the same as they could a "normal" hand-built area, I would think that a MUD could be viable without any premade areas.  Having the code generate outposts, dungeons, along with player empowerment to build the world as they go could lead to a very interesting dynamic of players.
Tavish is offline   Reply With Quote