View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Well, morality is of course a personal thing. Quite a lot of people on these forums, for instance, seem to think there's nothing wrong with copyright infringement. I disagree, but will recognize it's a personal matter when it comes to morality. Happily, in the end, it's not the morality of it that matters, but the reality of it, which, as you recognize, is that the power is with the game operators and those whose side the law is on.

Better is as subjective as morality. What's better to one person isn't better to another. Remember LambdaMoo, after all. Their players were so unhappy governing themselves they turned power back over to the admins.

What is nice about having admins in charge is that the rights that need enforcing can be laid out from above. When put in the hands of players, there will be no consensus about what rights one has against other people that need enforcing. I may feel that it is my right to a free education on your dime, for instance. You may disagree. I may feel it's my right to be free of all OOCness around me. You may disagree. Admins are able to simply lay out what rights you have and don't have as respects other players, leaving everyone playing on the same field.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote