Thread: I'm So Pretty
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 11:33 PM   #16
Mnemosyne

Mnemosyne is on a distinguished road
*delurks*

I find it much more appealing to play characters that are just... average looking. Not drop-your-cappucino gorgeous, or ridiculously ugly... in short, nothing that goes "yo! attention! give!". They have FEATURES that are attractive, yes - a pretty face, deep eyes, long beautiful hair I'd really like to snick for real-life use - but also significant flaws, like being over or underweight, gangly, bulbous or angular, having a body part like feet, hands or hips be over or undersized, et cetera. Not a paragon of beauty or the depths of repulsiveness, just sort of natural.

Oftentimes, especially, I would say, for a woman (and I would know, BEING a woman...), at least part of one's personality is affected by their appearance. A guy can get by just being normal, but either by others' reactions or whatever, a woman is sort of expected to be pretty - and often either is treated or treats herself like she "failed" as a woman if she's not pretty. While a twentysomething, underweight gangly girl with bad skin, giant hands, no breasts and wiry black boyhair might not be UGLY, she might still feel that way, especially if her environment gives her little reason to believe otherwise. Thus, I tend to play average-looking characters either extremely casual - they know they're not going to win any awards, so they can go out in their bathrobe if they feel like it - or very formal, as if they're trying to make up for their "ugliness", whether it actually exists or not.

*relurks*
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote