View Single Post
Old 05-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
In the "Advertising for Players" section here, I often see people looking for a "good PK MUD." Not being an uber PK fanatic, I'd like to see more lists of criteria for what this constitutes.

On my MUD, if you've not been there for a goodly while, (imo, at LEAST a RL year), there is NO WAY you are going to even begin to be a competitive PK. You'll just get slaughtered randomly, and this is due to the HnS environment. If you don't know the MUD, you're going to get slaughtered simply for *going* PK, and we do this to 'teach you the ropes of PK here."  We don't have permadeath, and there is no XP loss for PK deaths, and PK is entirely optional, for just this reason. Your only real risk is being looted, and the current PK ethic is *not* to loot, for the most part. Looting is usually reserved for people one would eventually 'kill' on RP-intensive MU*s.

I would contend that our PK environment is one of the harshest out there, in some respects, because the individual player's knowledge of the MUD as a whole is imperative to their PK rating. However, I seriously doubt people looking for a 'good PK MU*' would want to put in the year or two it takes to become a competitive PK on our game.  So, my questions are:

1) How fast do you like to get into PvP conflicts?

2) Does permadeath affect your decision on whether a MU* is a 'good PK environment?'

3) Are RP-intense conflicts the only 'real' reason to PK?

4) What are some other criteria for a 'good' PK mud? Balance? Low-level PvP opportunities? Do player-chosen 'arena' fights count as a 'good PK' environment, or is open MU* PK the only thing that 'gets it' for you?

I'm just looking for some comparisons, because I wouldn't dare go onto most MU*s and want to be PK. ;> I'm a wuss, and I like my char to live. What do you bloodthirsty, adrenaline-rush types look for? ;>
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote