View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #26
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you think happened to LPmuds?

On the note of muds that are LP. Not sure if its listed as such, but one called Ages of Despair is a TMI-2 (massively modified) on MudOS, so that is one at least. And, imho, its showing its age. Despite revamping of combat, and a lot of other things, there are compromises made to get them to work that make no real sense to me, but didn't work when done the opposite way around, and some things, like the outdoor grid system, are limited to an *allowed* size, so adding in a larger outdoor world would require new grids, or other annoyances. From what I understand this may be a practical limitation of the library, or maybe the server, or both. There are definite problems with it that only a new driver with better modern support and/or even more extreme changes to the library would require. Hmm. Another example. They upped max levels to 150, and then added in some special "powers" you could work towards at that level. They then had to completely change how total exp was stored, because the allowed integer size in MudOS was too small to "fit" the value into it (and I am not sure what they did to fix it, since reals would have the same problem, but add precision errors, which would make "gaining" exp impossible if the value was small enough to fall below certain thresholds, or recompute it for death, etc.).
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote