View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: "Planned" RP or Pure Immersion?

Will,

A scripted event is one where I become an active DM for a while and decide what events are going to happen, then find a way to lead the players through the campaign to get there. I try to be a good DM and I try to cover all the bases, but sometimes I just have to leave people behind or leave them out because they can't adhere to the storyline or follow simple instructions.

Like you, I also enjoy 'getting into my character', and playing it as though I were that class - but the important part of that statement is that -I- am playing it as though -I- were that character with those abilities. Sure, I can use magic and healing spells, but I'm a cleric that listens to death metal, reads HPMoR, and surfs the web. I don't necessarily care to talk about how "the orc army blah blah east of town invasion" or "you offended the king and he demands an apology" when I'm interacting with other players.

This goes to your question of "proper" role play. In my mind, "proper" means that you become a character in the provided setting, in that world that you're role playing in. In the case of a medieval RP mud, that means using the world provided to you. You can't just "be yourself" in that environment without strongly separating the information sets of the two personas. If you let inappropriate information from the RL world leak into the RP world, that's not "proper". Maintaining consistency like that is hard, unpleasant work, unless you're trained at it or have a genetic predisposition for it. I have neither.

It has nothing to do with nerds or geeks or distaste; it has everything to do with consistency. I don't care if someone uses a one word response or two paragraphs, and I'm perfectly fine with retconning your character if you need to, as long as it's not of the "retcon per week because I'm an attention whore" variety.

Immersion to me should be easy, it should be quick, and it should be entertaining. Proper RP is difficult, requires a lot of setup time, and depends on other people for payoff. A lot of this depends on my definition of RP (above), but frankly I don't like to do things halfway and say 'good enough'.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote