View Single Post
Old 07-23-2002, 03:37 PM   #18
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
By the same reasoning - why not (if you're an imm) pump your character's stats up? After all, if the players are using everything they can to their advantage, why shouldn't you?

Trust. That's why. I don't cheat in my own game - I consider it poor style. I gain my enjoyment from beating players within the "rules" of the game, but if I just boost a character up there is no real challenge to it.

Equally I expect the same sort of respect from my players. A player who uses a loophole is, to me, no different from an immortal who boosts up their character. Both of them are performing actions outside the intended scope of the game - in other words, they're cheating.

My mud is like my house - it's a private place, but I don't mind inviting people around as long as they are polite. If I left my wallet on my desk and someone took it, I would be angry at them - even though you could argue that it was "my fault" for being careless.

As a guest in my house, I expect to be able to trust you to a certain degree. As a guest in my mud, I have the same expectations. If you take advantage of my mistakes, don't expect to be invited back.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote