View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Aarn

Aarn is on a distinguished road
I'm not aware of any MUDs that use a turn-based system... the very style seems to lend itself to real-time.  I might even go so far as to say that real-time-combat is one of the defining characteristics of a MUD.

Now that that's out of the way, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better mix of roleplay and PK then Carrion Fields offers.  Roleplaying is completely mandatory at all times.  The only OOC channel in the whole game is our newbie help channel for those below level 15 with technical gameplay questions.  Mixed in with all of this, however, is a very detailed, immersive PK system.  There is no "opting" in or out of PK here - once you pass level 10 you're PKable.  We do restrict the range of people that can fight you by the ammount of experience your character (and their character) has, which usually equals an 8 to 10 level swing up or down in the ranks.  It's not a wanton blood fest, however, because everyone is required to roleplay, and needs to have a reason to kill you. Good-aligned characters do tend to be more trustworthy with those things though, so if you're learning the ropes that might be the way to start.

There are a huge variety of skills and tactics that can be applied, with every type of character having a chance against every other in the hands of equally-skilled players.  Take just our warrior class as an example.  You're all in the same guild, but you can pick from two of 8 different weapon specilizations (one at level 20 and one at level 40) that come with a wide array of completely different skills, along with taking two of 36 legacies later in life that further customize your character.  The end result being, at hero (level 51), any two warriors will be *completely* different characters with vastly different fighting styles and techniques.

At CF, you're going to roleplay.  You're also going to die.  And with a bit of practice, you're going to kill too.  Playing CF is not at all for the faint of heart.
Aarn is offline   Reply With Quote