Thread: Brewing
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2002, 02:41 AM   #6
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
It also helps to put your idea in context, at least the basics: RP level, basic structure (Class, no Class, etc), and what in general players focus their attention on.

For me things like a mortar and pestle would make a simple system into something with some substance. I also think bringing some actual skill into the matter helps a lot. What I mean by that is the idea that you have to practice to get good, not just in points but in real ability. For example I would make the brewing time something that varies based on what you are trying to accomplish. So if you brew one potion for 60 secs to get maximum power you might instead brew for 5 minutes to get maximum duration.

This sort of information should vary widely for each potion, and require a lot of effort to really get good at the process. Sure over time people will write docs with info you would rather not have out, but that is just part of online life to be accepted and embraced. For me there is a simple test, if one player can learn the system and post info that makes it a snap for anyone else then it is a BAD system.

This sort of activity is what we do in games, and brewing could be really involving and unique process. Or you can cater to players and their desire for quick, cheap, thrills and just make it quick and powerful.

It all depends on what sort of play you really want to inspire, and what options you wish to give to players.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote