View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
Kallekins

Kallekins is on a distinguished road
I think coded systems are very important for Roleplaying. The code makes the world come alive and feel much more immersive. To me, emotes and poses are less real than what your character does with the code. When I backstab, and then have that few seconds of worrying, am I hidden well enough? How is my dex today? Uh too many lights? Is fate on my side? I wouldn't want to emote a backstab and then wonder if the player is going to go along and get stabbed or does he think he can win today.
Also, I have a tendency to just take commands done with the code more seriously than emoted commands when other people do them. If somebody emotes something I think should be impossible then I'm quite likely to just ignore it, or start arguing ooc'ly about whether they can do that. But if they do it with the code, well then I have to concede they have the skill or the luck.
Also, with coded actions done to the room or to NPCs, if the code is good, there may be a real reaction. I've found on less code-heavy games, it is less immersive to pretend that the NPC talks back to you or that there's a hole where you dug one. And I really don't like waiting around in case there's an imm/wiz to possess the NPC.
It is unfortunate however that heavily coded systems tend to attract players less interested in roleplaying, and RP really is about the players.
Kallekins is offline   Reply With Quote