View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
No, it's not obvious. What's obvious is that now that it's been pointed out that Carrion Fields might potentially fall into that category, you wish to redefine the meaning of the category.

Here's what you gave as the reasoning:

As far as "No one would check this box"... I think IRE would, Aardwolf would, Threshold would, Materia Magica would, Medievia would... that list goes on. the_logos points out that by making these sorts of payments, one can accelerate one's development within the game, which is appealing to some players. Other people have voiced a dislike for it, because it introduces an OOC variable into an IC equation. The checkbox would just let people know in advance which kind of game it is.

So, your reasoning was that people don't want the OOC variable to be introduced. Dubious to single out one OOC variable when so many others are also relevant, but we'll pretend for now. I will demonstrate that I can purchase something on your game, thus showing that "optional payments can influence gameplay." Whether you delete me or not, gameplay has been undeniably influenced. And I can do it again, and again, and again. Anyone can. How many of your players wouldn't sell one piece of minor equipment for some sum of money?

Now, you've decided that what you really meant wasn't whether optional payments can influence gameplay, but whether the administration braces it or not. It's like claiming that you can't purchase gold in WoW, even though you can by simply going to any number of sites and it's a huge factor in the game. It's just harder to do in Carrion Fields, as there is likely not an existing centralized marketplace.

I mean, look, of course there is a difference between whether an administration embraces it or not, but my point was to show that your motivations do not appear genuine. You changed the fundamental meaning behind that check mark from an OOC factor to the existence of an administration policy only when it was pointed out that, however infrequent, money can definitely have an effect on Carrion Fields, your mud.

I don't need to approach you. The idea is that it's easily possible, and impossible to reliably prevent or trace, player to player transactions for money. To you, the game admin, they look fundamentally alike to any other transfer of an item for any other reason.

Hey, I tell you what: I'm happy to mark the box that says that optional payments can have an impact on gameplay if you are also willing to disclose it honestly.

The problem is that it's a poorly worded list. I have stated, over and over, that I have no problems with honest disclosure. Oh, and again, since we're being honest, you won't mind disclosing that Carrion Fields is "ultimately administered by amateur mud admins" as opposed to "ultimately administered by full-time professional mud admins" right? Of course you would. It's funny, though, how one needn't feel compelled to run a little crusade to enforce one (out of multiple) meanings of the word by attacking people who use not only an equally valid meaning, but the industry standard meaning. (Incidentally, think on how stupid this sentence sounds: Hey, I'm a skier, and I'm pretty good. I am therefore a professional skier!")

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote