View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 AM   #4
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
I vote the ones making it are more addicted (using a loose non-medical definition of "addiction"), at least speaking for myself and from my own experiences.

I know I have spent hours upon hours designing and coding a system to be how I envision, skipping meals and putting off non-essential social interaction. I have also worked for others before that seemed to not only be addicted to their "concept" of a game, but repeatedly returned to attempting to make it after failures.

How many of us have not talked about our games outside of the internet? Those blank stares from non-gamers should speak volumes.

There is a line in using any form of escapism. The old "use and abuse" mantra. If a game helps relieve stress and is entertaining then you are likely using it. It it interferes with responibilities and interaction outside of the game then you may have an addiction (in my opinion).

Does coding, administration or playing of games change brain chemistry? I have no clue. Can games be addictive? Hell yes! The good ones often are.

Here is another link discussing "Detox for Video Game Addiction" at a .
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote