View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: "End game" content?

Yes, that makes more sense, and like you, I've weighed time invested in creating "ready-to-eat" consumables vs. time invested in creating tools/systems etc. that add different entertainment aspects to gameplay. Usually, the latter wins in terms of bang for your buck. An additional benefit of developing unique tools/twists is that they are more likely to appeal to veteran mudders than e. g. a 100% custom world.

That said, I still think that you need a healthy dose of consumable content acting as the foundation on which you and your players can build. I've seen games that rely too heavily on user-generated content/entertainment, and unless they take off in a huge way (unlikely to happen to any new text-based game these days), they seem to always end up either desolated or filled with a complete hotch-potch of ideas, structures, etc. If you put the burden of success/failure too much on the shoulders of your players, then you should be prepared for the worst, with little means to prevent it.

Also, in my estimate about 70% of our current player base will always prefer to consume rather than create. If the game didn't have years of content that is ready to consume, I would imagine all these people would move on rather than labor to create their own fun. Nowadays, lazy people have a lot of consumable game content at their fingertips, and would readily spend money on it just so they don't have to think.

And a final point. While it is true that you can never create content fast enough to satisfy the hunger of your current power players, over time you can cultivate / accumulate enough of it up to a point where people will be quitting for reasons other than lack of content. Like you said, if you entertain anyone for several years for free, that's already pretty huge.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote