View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
Brawndel

Brawndel is on a distinguished road
Re: Running a mud on a windows machine.:)

Like... WOW!!
What was this like five years ago?
And yet I still haven't really come up with a solution.
I had completely forgotten about this post though it is still viable as something I'd like to know about.
I've been trying and retrying different methods of mud creation since I graduated highschool in 2001, and everything I've tried has fallen through because of accessibility or because I just haven't had the know-how.
I know all about os X, and though that might be an option down the road a bit, I'm not in the best position to pay for a new machine.
Is it still true that most of the code bases that are run under windows don't perform as well as similar code bases under lynix?
Coding the mud with windows and then getting a shell account to a host surver is possible, but what if I want to test my code before I upload it... or do you generally do the coding entirely through the shell?
I haven't played with cigwin in a few years, but last time I tried my screen reader had major issues with it. Something like Coffeemud is still possible... although I've heard from several sorces that it's harder to get something built in java onto a host surver.

It would be optimal if I could do my coding in notepad, then upload the file to a surver. Is that possible or does anything written in windows clash with a unix type environment?

Anyway, as you can see I still have similar questions. Though at least now I know quite a bit more about coding.

Thanks a lot Heathen for bringing this up again, I totally forgot that this was even here. And yes I am the same guy that logged on to Northern Crossroads this morning... hope to see you there.

Carry on

Brawny
Brawndel is offline   Reply With Quote