View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #74
Sinuhe

Sinuhe is on a distinguished road
Threshold @ Jan. 11 2006,09:49

Simmer down. There is no need to get aggressive. I am not advocating ‘parallel voting lists’ if that is what you are so afraid of. All I am saying is that the definitions ‘non-commercial’ and ‘commercial’ are better than the currently used ‘free’ and ‘pay-to-play’, since they don’t give as much room for individual interpretation and misrepresentation. The ‘commercial’ muds could then be broken down further by their business method into the 3-4 categories already suggested to give more accurate info, but the big divider for most mudders goes at commercial or not.

If you weren’t so blinded by your own prejudices, you would realise that I am actually fighting your battle too here. If certain commercial Muds use the ambiguity of the word ‘free’ to misrepresent themselves purposefully to gain more new players at the expense of others, that is negative not only to all the really ‘free’ muds, but also to other commercial muds, like yourself, who represent themselves correctly. I am surprised that you cannot see that.

For the moment the only ones I am aware of doing it are the IRE games, (with the exception of Lusternia), and (of course) Medievia, but there might be more. It gives an unfair advantage to those that practice the misrepresentation, and that should be corrected.

That said, I think that there should also be two lists, but certainly not parallel ones.
However there should be a way to draw out a list of all non-commercial muds by using the search engine. I don’t really care if that list is based on alphabetical order or most votes, but the option should exist, and it currently doesn’t. As it is you can only list commercial muds with the search engine, and when you do, you get an incomplete list, because of the above mentioned misrepresentation. But there should also be a similar search option for the players who actively seek a non-commercial mud.

It would be fair to everybody, give accurate info to all mudders in search for a new game to play, and consequently make this resource site a lot better.
Sinuhe is offline   Reply With Quote