View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #78
Hypoc

Hypoc is on a distinguished road
Cynicism may suggest that we should have no label whatsoever, because intelligent MUD shoppers will ultimately find out how free or "free" a MUD is. However, in my opinion, this makes a list rather stupid. If we couldn't settle the issue to some degree, we may have to concede the battle on MUDlibs and genres who will point to this decision. When I search for a new MUD to play, now and then, I'd like to see things by categories, but if those categories didn't exist, I would most likely go to a site that did have categories, including the free category.

Anitra's proposal is elegant. There is a label for each group of MUDs. It's not extremely simple as black and white, but this is as simple as it gets, for now.

Perks include anything from restringing to increased practises and stats. Restringing does not let you kill an ogre or a player faster -- practises and stats do. Therefore, might I submit that play-for-perks should mean a material gaming advantage, not a role-playing advantage? I'm sure someone might be able to word it better than me.
Hypoc is offline   Reply With Quote