Thread: pk forum again
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #20
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
I've never said there can't be - indeed, Synozeer has already said in the past that he'll add a PK forum if there is demand for it. All I've said is that I don't think it would be a good idea.

Originally, Visko suggested that "People tend to ignore the "dark side" of the games out there, and I'd like to find a place where people who enjoy some decent pk/hack'n'slash can come to share ideas, thoughts, and insane amounts of flames", even requesting "Plz make pk forum unrestricted in language etc...we need our space to be able to express ourselves appropriately". He has presented his proposal in a much better way this time, but it's really just a sugar coating - his original posts were much more representative of how I feel such a forum will end up.

As has been pointed out both here and in other threads, the roleplaying forum has the benefit that roleplaying is codebase-independent. PK on the other hand is very codebase specific - and while a good PKer is able to adapt to different environments, general discussions are unlikely to be of much interest. This problem is even encountered on the GodWars mailing list, and that only covers GodWars and its derivatives.

Discussing the design of features such as new combat systems would dilute the Advanced Mud Concepts forum - which is IMO where such discussions belong (it's not just PK muds which use combat, after all). Discussing the actual implementation of such features would then dilute the Coding forum.

It would be comparible with discussing permadeath - you might talk about the impact in the roleplaying forum, but the actual design discussions would go into the Advanced Mud Concepts forum, just as the specifics on how to go about coding it would go into the Coding forum. The same would apply to (for example) dynamic room descriptions - you might discuss their pros and cons in the builders forum, but not the design or implementation. But what part of a combat system would you discuss in the PK forum?

And that leads us back to the original post, which stated "Pk disussions forum would be cool". And my opinion is still that no, I don't think it would - I just don't see a need for it. I wouldn't even say I was really against the idea, just that I don't think it would add any value to the forums. But it's not my call anyway, I'm just giving my 2 euro cents...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote