View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: The Holy Grail- Free MU* Hosting

Yay, something I can help with.

If you're starting with a godwars base, Tijer might have something--godwars.net has a forum, and he hosts a few people, but I'm not sure if it's open to the public or not.

If you've posted a lot on mudbytes in the past, there's zeno's, requiring either 5 mudbytes posts or a posted article/snippet--the posts, if you go that route, have to be substantial; they can't just be a hello or something, but have to add something to a discussion, or something. Again, not too clear on the exact criteria, but it's available.

I know someone named kline (Spelling?) runs something at stormhunters.net, but again, not too clear on the details. I've also heard of a few other places, and mudconnect.com has a list of free and paid hosts.

The truth is, you probably don't need a host at the moment. You could probably just develop on your own pc using cygwin or a vm; alternatively, just install linux (wubi, but I don't know if that works with latest windows versions, but if it does, you keep both and linux can't accidentally destroy windows easily). If this is a multi-person project, you could use version control, something I sincerely wish more mud coders used, and get something with sourceforge or github; if your project is going to be closed-source, that's obviously not an option. If you have a computer, use that, in combination with one of the free dynamic dns services; some of the wireless routers even come with them, nowadays.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote