View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 09:00 AM   #14
hoop

hoop is on a distinguished road
Arrow

I believe I mentioned this in my previous post, but I wanted to elaborate.

On our system, you can type DISPDAM to display your damage.  You can also turn it off.  You can have a "brief" fighting mode, where you only see :

You did [254] damage and sustained [37].

This is far from role-playing though, and it was created to help reduce lag that was created when a group of 20 players (each hitting between 3-10 times each) was fighting a large creature.

We also have a non-brief mode, which shows a "damage" level (ie: mangles) and also the number, like this :

You ***UTTERLY DESTROY*** a gargoyle hatchling with your slash! [DAM : 120]

Based on the damage message you can figure out what your damage is anyway. (Ie: our "one-star" utterly destroy is between 100 to 115 points.  "two-star" is 116 to 125 - for instance).  

So if the mud is setup to show damage like that - and you know what the basic amount of damage is for each strike, you'd be able to figure it out anyway.

We also show damage for spells :

You engulf a a small gargoyle with your fireball ! [DAM: 125]

I think this helps players to know what spells and what type of spells to use against certain creatures.  Some creatures may be more resistant to fire based spells, for instance, and seeing the damage, they can adjust accordingly, during a fight.  Then they can use that information to better attack that creature the next time they face it.

I don't know if KNOWING the damage takes away from role-playing though.  As someone stated, in D&D, you do roll the dice, and you know (pretty much) what damage you are doing - unless affected by some magical properties that the DM/GM hasn't told you about.

You can have that kind of affect too, on a mud that shows damage.  Even though you are doing LESS or MORE damage to a creature (based on the amount of damage shown by your strikes) you don't know exactly why.  You have to experiement to find out what attacks hurt that creature more, and what attacks do less damage to it - but you don't often know why.

Thinking about this, I realize that as a player, I would rather SEE the damage indicators.  Not only is it a way for me to better attack creatures, and determine what kind of attacks to use, but it also gives boasting rights if you can reach a certain level of damage.

Hoop
hoop is offline   Reply With Quote