View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 07:01 PM   #21
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
While it is true that a PLAYER democracy is an unrealistic Utopia - (and, I agree with KaVir, a very undesirable one for several reasons) - I do believe that a sort of democracy still can exist within the Administration.

In our mud, for instance, there are three imps, (there used to be four, but two left over the years, and I took over one of the abandoned places). The three of us all have different specialities, and do different work around the mud, but we all have equal power, we all have full access to the shell, and all important decisions are discussed until a concensus is reached between us. If one of the imps should decide to leave the mud for some reason, the other two would keep it running nevertheless.

Even if the imp that has the server, (which I suppose would make him the 'formal' owner) would decide on his own to shut the mud down, it would only take a day or two before we had it running on another server. Perhaps not a democracy, but at least not a dictatorship either.

Also this way of running the mud has worked fine for about 6 years now, so it seems a pretty stable arrangement.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote